Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Why is the rum gone?!?!?!

"Why?", indeed! I blame everyone who told us in the states "don't provision liquor here - wait until you get to the Bahamas. It's cheaper there." Ok. True enough. If you can find it.

Today, I trekked two miles each way (uphill, barefoot in the snow... ok, not so much, but definitely 2 miles) to find the liquor store in West End Village. Well, I was successful. I found the store. However, when I arrived at around 3:15 p.m., I was greeted by a sign on the door that said "out to lunch, back at 4". Everything I have read in cruising articles about this type of sign in the islands said that "back at 4" was merely a possible return time, if there was a return time at all, i.e., don't expect promptness. So, being that I was alone and it was getting late in the day, I returned to the boat with only a loaf of fresh, locally baked bread (yummy, by the way). Ok, so the bread was kind of worth the trip... but the liquor cabinet is still basically empty save the remaining third of a bottle of Sauza Conmemorativo.

The rum is still gone.

5 comments:

Steve said...

Sounds like a very successful trip. You came back with something. Welcome da ilons mon.

Unknown said...

I'm glad you made and I'm truely jealous. It's 11 degree's up here in Boston where my office is and there is sooo much snow I'm not sure where they are going to put the next batch of snow. I'm with you though on not being out of Rum. That's a bad thing when the rum is gone!

I hope you guys have fun and I'm certain you're staying warm.

Gregg said...

11 degrees?!?! eeewww!

Anonymous said...

Its -9F in Illinois, and I have 750ml of Captain Jerrys left, some how I feel you still have the better end of the deal...

Matt.

Jen said...

Matt,
We have resolved the rum problem with 3L of Bahamian rum. And yes, we do have the better end of the deal... I never said we ran out of beer :)