Wednesday, October 22, 2008

So there I was...

It was dark o'clock and I was warm and snug in bed, half asleep and half thinking about getting up to take the flag down because it was squeaking, when I hear "HONEY I NEED YOU WE'RE DRAGGING!!!!" accompanied by the rumble of the twin diesels coming to life.


While uttering a few choice four letter words, I quickly dressed and headed to Gregg's side at the helm station and saw the approx. 100 ft path on the nav system (notice the yellow arrow pointing at the long straight line). It was pretty windy and I was struggling to wake up and not adjusting perfectly going from slumber to maneuvering the boat. So, Gregg suggested I go up front and run the windlass, in the dark, for the first time. I thought it best to collect myself and work the helm. We dug the anchor in again and let out more scope, but the excitement may not yet be over. Hopefully we will get some rest tonight. But for now, too wound up to sleep, we are both on anchor watch, staring at the blue screen of the E120, hoping we stay pretty much in one spot.

I fear this will be the first of many "So there I was..." entitled blog entries.
UPDATE (7:30 AM 10/22): We stayed on watch until 3 am and kept alarms set on wind speed and vessel drift until present time. We did not drift again, much to our anchoring neighbor's delight... and ours. Getting ready to head out - today should be a good sail down to Yorktown.

No comments: